Nota de prensa de la Royal Navy sobre un rescate a lo grande, decir que el submarino lo habían vendido los ingleses a los canadienses y que la parte del león se la llevo el «Anglian Prince», ex-Hispania:

HMCS CHICOUTIMI was safely returned to Faslane last Sunday.

On Tue 05 Oct, two fires occurred onboard the Canadian diesel powered submarine HMCS Chicoutimi. The fires were in electrical circuits and caused extensive damage. Chicoutimi lost all power and propulsion. The submarine was on the surface at the time of the fires.

A variety of RN and RAF ships and aircraft were involved in the rescue.

HMS Montrose arrived at the scene at 1300 on 06 Oct 04, and her CO acted as incident commander. Nimrod aircraft, HMS Marlborough, RFA Wave Knight, RFA Argus, 2 Sea King and a Merlin helicopter provided assistance as required.

There were 9 casualties, from smoke inhalation. Three of these gave cause for concern and were evacuated by helicopter to Sligo Hospital in the latter part of 06 Oct 04. The condition of one of these deteriorated to the extent that the helicopter diverted to Sligo Hospital , but Lt Chris Saunders RCN tragically could not be revived. The other casualties are now stable with their conditions improving. The remaining 6 smoke casualties were assessed as fit to remain onboard. A number of the crew from Chicoutimi have been transferred in small groups to Montrose for showers and hot meals, and given the opportunity to send emails to next of kin.

The specialist tug, MV Anglian Prince led the tow supported by the MV Carolyn Chouest, a US submarine support ship. The tow was transferred to the Carolyn Chouest on Saturday 10 October. The Royal Canadian Navy frigate St John s made passage to the area, arriving on Saturday 9 October. She remains in Faslane in support of the Chicoutimi .

The key objectives were to ensure the safety of the crew, prevent the loss of the submarine, provide logistics, medical, aviation and moral support to the crew aboard.

Worthwhile progress was made in the restoration of at least partial electrical supply within the submarine. Temperatures remained tolerable and the atmosphere acceptable. The rudder function was restored to a limited extent, and three ballast tanks were blown, the fourth being left flooded to maintain the boat’s trim for towing.

Specialist technical advice on the scene was embarked in HMS Montrose. Further technical groups continued to work ashore to scope options for the recovery. In addition, discussions were held between UK and Canadian staff, on how best to augment the submarine crew with additional specialists, and to rest everyone as much as possible.

The overall deployment force comprised:

Surface – 9 vessels under command in theatre (comprising 3 frigates, 1 aviation training ship, 1 AOR, 2 patrol vessels & 2 ocean going tugs), together with support from 2 fishing vessels, 2 MoD tugs and MoD Police boats;

Air – 11 RN & 1 RAF helicopters and 2 RAF maritime patrol aircraft comprising: 4 Merlin, 5 Lynx & 2 Sea King from 6 Fleet Air Arm Squadrons; 1 Sea King & 2 Nimrod from 2 RAF Squadrons;

Deployed Support – included: submarine & salvage specialists; RCN & BAeS personnel;

Base Support – support was provided from 13 locations: NBC Faslane; Prestwick; RNAS Culdrose; RNAS Yeovilton; RAF Lyneham; RAF Kinloss; RAF Valley; RAF Aldergrove; MoD Abbey Wood; Ballykelly, Sligo & Donegal airfields; Sligo Hospital;

Esta entrada fue publicada en Accidentes. Guarda el enlace permanente.

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada.